Sunday, October 12, 2008

Online shopping

Pregnancy and motherhood opened a whole new world to me: the world of online shops! I've already blogged about scouring the local malls for BPA free bottles and coming up short. You see, while I was still pregnant with the baby princess, the whole issue about baby bottles having BPA broke and of course my bottles would just have to be BPA free. However, at that time, the malls had very little variety so I turned to the computer and found all these wonderfully helpful online shops. I was skeptic at first, especially since most required downpayments (even full payments) before your order is actually processed. Then you have to wait for your purchase to arrive via courier. Some items are even for pre-order so the waiting time is longer, about 3 to 4 weeks for it to arrive from the US. Of course, being scammed crossed my mind but out of necessity, I placed my very first online order: a lansinoh electric breast pump. Thankfully, the transaction went well, the seller was very nice and I felt comfy dealing with her and I got my beloved pump.


p.s and I've bought other stuff as well after this first time (thanks hubby!)


TIPS FOR BUYING ONLINE

  • Research - visit forums, ask your e-groups and be on the lookout for online sites that other moms or women (yup! we love to shop :) in general frequent and talk about
  • Ask questions - ask the seller questions about payment options, delivery time, price validity, shipping fees etc before you place your order
  • Visit the stores/malls first to canvass or to see if the item you want is already available locally. It is not always cheaper to buy online. Buyer most often shoulders the shipping cost, the bulkier the item, the more expensive the add on cost.
  • Study the seller's site and look at the guestbook or comments of former customers. Try to get a feel if these comments come from real individuals
    If there's an option for pick up or meet up to get the item, opt for this especially if the item you ordered is bulky (this is what I did when I bought my pump)
  • Be wary of sellers who only offer Gcash payments. In my opinion, a seller with a bank account and offers bank deposit as option is more credible.
  • If in the end you still feel wary, then don't do it. Remember shopping should remain fun and stress free :)

surprise?!!!



another online buy (bday gift from hubby)


No comments: